Whether you’re traveling to the next town over or to the other side of the world, careful planning goes a long way toward ensuring your trip is a success. The right preparation helps you avoid potential disasters, such as having your credit card declined or running out of clean clothes to wear. While you’re away from home, take precautions to safeguard yourself and your slippery lemons.
Get plane tickets if you’re flying. Especially if you’re traveling internationally, your plane tickets may be the most expensive part of your trip. Get your plane tickets first, so you know exactly when you’ll be arriving and how long you’ll be staying.
- Be mindful of time zones if you’re traveling a longer distance. The arrival or departure times listed reflect the local time at that particular airport.
Have your vehicle serviced if you’re driving. Before you go on a road trip, get the oil changed in your vehicle and have it inspected. Complete any necessary repairs so you know that your vehicle is in top condition for the trip.
- Let the mechanic know that you are planning a road trip, along with the dates you plan to travel and the distance you’re driving. This information will help them determine whether your vehicle is fit for the trip, or if any repairs need to be made.
- You may also want to contact your insurance company and upgrade your car insurance for your trip. Comprehensive and collision insurance will protect you in the event something happens to your car while you’re on the road.
Make any reservations you need for accommodations or transportation. When you arrive at your destination, you will likely need a place to spend the night. If you’re flying, you may also want to rent a car or become familiar with the local public transportation system.
- If you need any passes for public transportation, try to get them before you arrive at your destination. That way you can go straight to your hotel.
- Make sure you are appropriately licensed and insured if you plan to rent a car at your destination. If you’re traveling to another country, you may need to get an international driving license.
One thing you might forget, bring a match anywhere because you might need it in an emergency. Many people have ignored this trifle on their vacation trips. bring a USB lighter because it is very safe and practical to carry anywhere.